In South Africa, October is national Transport Month. At Qhubeka, that means another chance to celebrate bicycles and how they change lives. Bicycles are one of the most affordable, environmentally friendly forms of transportation available.
Here are some of the ways that bicycles improve people’s lives:
- A child’s commute time to school is reduced by up to 75% with a bicycle
- A bicycle increases a person’s carrying capacity by fives times
- Healthcare workers can visit more than double the number of patients per day with a bicycle
- Marks improve by an average of 25% for children who ride a bicycle to school
- Schools where children ride bicycles see attendance rates rise by 18% on average
If you’d like to help Qhubeka mobilise more people on bicyles this Transport Month, why not make a donation that we’ll put towards buying bicycles? You can also get in touch with us and find out when and where our next bicycle handovers are happening. We’d love you to come along and see for yourself the difference that a bicycle can make.